You can keep your Survivor and your Bachelor. The Masked Singer can stay masked forever for all I care. Because way back before reality shows made celebrities out of ordinary people, there was a reality show that turned celebrities into pseudo-athletes. And it was pure television gold. Feast your eyes upon the glory that is… Battle of the Network Stars!
- Howard Cosell at his bloviating best
- Robert Urich at his jerky worst
- Mr. Kotter kicking butt
- Epstein loving Mr. Kotter kicking butt
- Richie Cunningham and Laverne together
- Farrah and Wonder Woman together
- Kojak, baby!
- 50% of the “athletes” smoking heaters
- Schneider from One Day at a Time
- The original Richard Hatch
- Bruce Jenner when he was Bruce Jenner
Truly a wonderful way to spend nine and a half minutes. Aw, who am I kidding? I watched that sucker three times, just trying to luxuriate in the glorious 70s-ness of it all.
Most of these folks have left us, but Gabe Kaplan is still around. (All that running kept him in shape… or maybe it was the lack of smoking.) I think he should lead the U.S. delegation in the opening ceremonies of this year’s Olympics.