Activities that have been cancelled on me recently:
1. The Replacements concert in Columbus, OH in early May. I was really looking forward to this show because I love the ‘mats. Originally the show was merely postponed… but apparently they couldn’t find a decent reschedule date so they eventually cancelled the gig. The reason it didn’t go on as scheduled was because lead singer Paul Westerberg was ailing. Or maybe Tommy got his tonsils out.
2. Jesse Malin concert in Newport, KY in mid-April. Yet another concert I was really looking forward to, because I love Jesse and adore his new album, New York Before the War. But I’m assuming he bailed out because his typical shows in the Cincinnati area are high on energy, but low on attendees. He did an in-studio performance at a Pittsburgh radio station the next afternoon to plug his Pittsburgh show – probably a wiser move economically. Ironically enough, Jesse opened two shows for the Replacements in London in early June… Bastards!
3. Paddlefest. It’s not nearly as dirty as it sounds – it has nothing to do with spanking, just paddling down the Ohio River in kayaks, canoes, paddleboards and other people-powered watercraft.
It’s a wonderful event where a 10-mile stretch of the mighty Ohio is closed to barge traffic for several hours, and paddlers own the river. Peaceful, relaxing, beautiful… but this year Mother Nature had other plans. Heavy rains from Tropical Storm Bill made the river too rapid and risky for a bunch of amateur Gilligans.
Activities that have NOT been cancelled on me recently:
- property tax bill
- dentist appointment for 2 cavities
- my son’s 7:15 a.m. soccer game an hour away… and it started raining with thunder and lightning shortly after the game started so it was called off. Basically we spent 2 1/2 hours driving so he could play 15 minutes of soccer.
I know just how you feel, Clark.